Wednesday, December 26, 2012

My Road to Unbelief Part I

My Road to Unbelief

Part I: Introduction

Hi, I'm DoubleReed.  I stream starcraft, compose music, and work in cybersecurity.  I figure a blog would be a great way to put my thoughts to paper so that ideas are less in my head.  This blog will be a place for me to talk about random crap, because that's what blogs are for.

As a start, I figured I would talk about my road to becoming an atheist. However, all stories need a proper setting, so this will also serve to introduce myself.  I grew up in a rich, white suburb of America that has some of the best public schools in the country. It is highly liberal, and I was one of its many Ashkenazi Jews.

My Jewish congregation is Conservative (as opposed to Reform which is less religious and Orthodox which is more religious). So you could say it's the middle, but the fact is that really Conservative and Reform are not that different from one another.

I have one sister and one brother who are awesome. I have a wonderful mother and a wonderful father who is a Mathematics professor. Religion was never a significant part of our household, although of course we followed the traditions that were fun and family-oriented. We are a secular family, through and through. So I'm sorry to say that I will not have dramatic stories about my family, as they are all very accepting and apathetic about the ideas of religion.

So this is where I started: lucky, wealthy, and happy. This is the setting of my unbelief.

No comments:

Post a Comment